Multifamily Housing Fire Statistics
According to the National Fire Prevention Association 2020 Fire Structure Report:
- 77% of apartment or multi-family housing fires start in the kitchen
- 47% of kitchen fires are caused by forgotten or unattended cooking
- 88% of student housing fires starting in the kitchen
Risk to Property
- For multifamily housing the water from a sprinkler activation can cause water damage to an additional 7 to 11 residences depending on which floor the activation occurs in a multi-story building. Damage claims often exceed $200,000
- Claim damage is 400% higher from cooking fires than the next most expensive claim type in single family rentals.